Friday, October 1, 2010

Circular Conversation

One thing about Oberlin that I find great, is the plethora of activities happening on any given day. When I was looking at colleges, one of my biggest concerns was having enough to do in Ohio. From what I knew, Ohio was all cornfields and cows. Although I still find that to be true, the amount of Facebook invitations I receive on a daily basis is unreal. There are workshops, socials, sporting events, performances at the 'Sco, you name it. There are so many things going on at all times, that really, it's impossible to be bored.
What amazes me, is that with all the things to do, a common pastime at Oberlin is sitting in circles. Yes, sitting in circles. People sit in circles on North Quad, people sit in circles on Wilder Bowl. People sit in circles on weekdays, people sit in circles during the weekend. Why? Well, I have a theory.
Here at Oberlin, we are as involved as college students get. Everyone has a cause, everyone has a passion, and everyone has at least two majors. Personally knowing how it feels to be busy beyond all belief, I know sometimes taking a study break consists of doing absolutely nothing. Absolutely nothing. Except apparently sitting in a circle.
I believe that as Oberlin students, although we are busy out of our minds, we know it's okay to take the time to do things that matter. One of those things, is to have intellectual conversations, just for the sake of talking. With cell phones, Facebook, email, and all the other things we do to preoccupy our time, many people forget how fulfilling good conversation can be. It doesn't have to be about quantum physics, but anything that makes us think about the world we live in and analyze the world of tomorrow will suffice.
So as we graduate and become the future that is so often spoken of, I hope we remember to take the time to remember the important things. As silly as it seems, sitting in circles gives me hope that as Oberlin students, we all possess the ability to make a difference and will be successful in bettering whatever cause we choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment